Decorate your Christmas tree with mini knitted bobble hats in assorted colours and pretty pompoms in contrast shades. These cute hats, designed by Claire Garland, can be strung together to make a garland or hung up with wooden pegs to form a quirky advent calendar.
You Will Need:
- 3.5mm (US size 4) knitting needles
- 1 x 50g ball DK yarn in colour of your choice (per hat)
(We used Rowan Handknit Cotton Rosso, Ecru and Aubergine)
- Ricrac in a co-ordinating colour (optional)
- Pompom maker
Here’s how to make the mini knitted bobble hats…
1. Knit the hats following the pattern below:
Cast on 36 sts.
Divide evenly over 3 needles slipping purlwise, join in the round.
Rnd 1: [K2, P2] 9 times. Place marker.
Rnd 2: P.
Rep last 2 rnds 8 times. Cast off in rib.
2. Take one of the knitted hat pieces and turn up the ribbed brim. Then at the cast on edge, thread up the tail end and work a running stitch all the way around. Pull up the stitches to create the hat shape, and secure the end.
3. Make small pompoms. Sew a pompom securely in place at the top of the hat to hide the stitching.
4. Sew on a loop of yarn at the top of the bobble for hanging. Thread the completed hats onto a length of ricrac to make a garland.
5. For an advent calendar, make 24 hats; embroider each with a number (1 to 24) worked with yarn, or use a marker to write the numbers onto 24 wooden pegs and attach to a length of ribbon.
This project has been excerpted from, 101 Ways to Stitch Craft Create for all Occasions.